Skip to content
Page load link
How do I lengthen the life of my septic system?
- Conserve water and fix leaks and drips.
- If you replace old fixtures install new “low flow” types.
- Do not overload the system; this is the primary cause of system failures.
- Early morning and bedtime are peak water use times in the bathroom. Run dishwashers and washing machines at other times of the day.
- Don’t do all the family laundry in one day.
- Do not use a garbage disposal or dump coffee grounds in the sink.
- Increasing the level of solids into the tank decreases the capacity and shortens the interval between pumping.
- Do not pour fats and oils down the drain which can clog your septic tank pipes.
- Put paper towels, tissue, cigarette butts, disposable diapers, feminine products and other material in a trash can; not in the toilet.
- Use moderate amounts of detergents, bleaches, drain cleaners, household cleaners and other products.
- Avoid dumping solvents like dry cleaning fluid, pesticides, photographic chemicals, and paint thinner or auto products down the drain.